Wednesday, June 30, 2010

DR. PAT'S V8 DIET

In her book, Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put on My Pajamas, & Found Happiness, Dominique Browning shared a little diet her doctor gave her to lose 15 pounds.  At first glance, it appeared too strict (imagine that).  But then I noticed the plan calls for eating (or drinking) something every two hours.  And it doesn't require any special food.  And it is dirt simple.

So after vacationing for a glorious six days in Laguna Beach, I came home and went on this plan for five days.  I did not eat out at any restaurants during this time.  And I quickly lost what I gained on vacation and two pounds extra--what a deal!  Nor did I gain anything back when I went off the plan and back on WW. This plan also took away my sweet tooth since there are very few carbohydrates (that in itself is a miracle).

So while I would find it very difficult to be on this diet for a month, I think it is great for the days following a vacation (if you are like me and eat more on vacation than you do at home) or to jump start a new eating plan.  I will always love WW (when I actually stay within my points it does work) but this V8 diet was a good change.

Wake:  6 oz water, while still in bed (I do not stay in bed to drink this)

7:30   tea; boiled egg; bottled water (I fry my egg over easy in a nonstick skillet)

9:30   V8 juice

11:30  small container fat-free cottage cheese; 1/2 apple; 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon; 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed; water (I have a whole apple)

1:30   smallest water-packed tuna, or 1/2 grilled skinless chicken breast; greens; bottle water (I added canned salmon to the rotation)

3:30  V8 juice

5:30  small container fat-free cottage cheese; 1/2 apple; cinnamon and flax seed (I substituted greek yogurt for the cottage cheese)

7:00  4 oz. protein; 1 cup veggies (only broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, summer squash, green beans, or cucumber); water

9:30  2 oz. protein, preferably turkey; water (Although I bought the turkey, I just couldn't eat it at 9:30 pm)

Any time of day, V8 juice, as much as desired (I didn't do this)
(V8 juice is a great but I like Kndusen's Very Veggie drink even better.)

1 comment: