Wednesday, April 7, 2010

VINCENT'S CASCABEL CHILE HONEY GLAZED PORK TENDERLOIN

I can't believe I haven't posted this recipe before. It is one of my family's favorite dishes and I make it almost every Easter (except for last Easter which no one in my family can remember what I made). This glaze is sweet and rich and comes from Vincen'ts cookbook. Vincent Guerithalt is a local French chef with a great little restaurant in Phoenix. I especially like his tiny Market Bistro which serves terrific lunches in a setting that feels as if you are in Paris. And the prices are great (I promise).

Back to the glaze: you don't need much because there is so much flavor. I buy the dried Cascabel chiles at Penzey's but you can pick them up at a Mexican market super cheap.

I prepare the pork tenderloin one of two ways: either on the grill or roast in the oven. Either way I rub the tenderloin's (usually 3 pounds) with olive oil, salt, and pepper. If roasting, I set the oven at 350 degrees and roast for 50 minutes.
Brush the tenderloin with the glaze the last 5 minutes and then warm up the remaining glaze and serve with the tenderloin. You will love it!

Cascabel Chile And Honey Glazed Pork Tenderloin

Ingredients:
4 Cascabel Chiles (found in Mexican markets or at Penzeys Spice in Scottsdale)
One cup Honey
1/2 cup Chicken stock
3 T Tomato puree
1 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Ground cumin

Instructions:
Rehydrate the cascabel chiles by soaking them in warm water for about 2 hours before using them.

Drain the chiles and place them with the honey, chicken stock, tomato puree, paprika, and cumin in a saucepan and simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes.

Remove from the heat and pure the mixture in a blender.

Brush on grilled pork tenderloin or grilled chicken.

Note: if jalapenos are used, roast them and peel, seed, and dice them before simmering them with the rest of the ingredients.

2 comments:

  1. I have the cookbook you mention and have been making this dish for years. It is indeed very VERY special, and so easy. Lots of WOW when I serve it. Hard to describe what it tastes like, but it is complex beyond merely sweet and spicy. I LOVE this recipe. What else have you made from the book that you think is great?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had these chilies from Penzeys for a few months and have been looking for a recipe to use them in. This sounds really good. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete