Monday, January 11, 2010

JENNIFER'S TEN-MINUTE CHILI


Chili is a favorite winter-time foods. The tomatoes, beans, and spices all melding together provide comfort and warmth on a cold winter day. Oh wait, it was 71 degrees yesterday here in sunny Arizona. But fortunately it was 66 degrees in my house so making a pot of chili felt right.


When craving chili, I usually make my Turkey Chili recipe but yesterday I was ready to try something new. This is a recipe from my darling friend, Jennifer. Don't know where she found it but knowing Jennifer I'm sure she tweaked it enough to make it her own.


This is rich tasting (probably due to the full 6 ounce can of tomato paste) which I love. I left the onions a little chunkier, not diced, and the texture of the thicker onion slices stands out since there is not the usual celery and peppers fighting for attention. Plus it really is quick to make, maybe not 10 minutes but close enough.

1 lb ground turkey or lean ground beef

1 large onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, chopped (I used 3)

1 (15 oz) can chili beans - undrained

1 (15 oz) can kidney beans - undrained (I added one extra can)

1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes

1 (6oz) can tomato paste

1 (8 0z) can tomato sauce (I used 15 oz can)

1 1/2 Tablespoons brown sugar

1 1/2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

2 Tablespoons chili powder

1 teaspoon cumin

In a heavy pot cook turkey (or beef), add onion and cook until done. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes more. Add the remaining ingredients stirring as you go. Simmer for 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add water if too thick.

Note: If you care about these things (and I do right now) one serving equals four points on Weight Watchers--yipee. I based this on getting about 8 servings (but secretely I think I can get more servings out of this hence lowering the points).

1 comment:

  1. Yay! SO glad you liked it. It also works well with black beans (or whatever beans you happen to have on hand). If I'm not pressed for time, I'll add chopped celery, carrots, leftover broccoli stalks, bell peppers -- whatever's on hand, just to up the veggie quota. I also make a vegetarian version with corn (then it truly IS 10 minutes. Or less!)

    ReplyDelete