Friday, January 8, 2010

JANUARY GARDEN UPDATE

The Garden Fairy has blessed us with an abundance of Buttercrunch lettuce, Romaine lettuce, and a variety of Chinese cabbages. But apparently she didn't notice the little markers I had pointing to the spinach and beets since they were both completely ignored and therefore hardly produced a thing.


Last year we had so much spinach I was adding it to just about every recipe that called for anything remotely green. It has been a disappointing crop with just a few leaves here and there.

Also last year, we had the best beet tops for salads. Not this year. I don't know quite what to make of it since we planted one month earlier than last year. I'm thinking my garden boxes are not getting enough low winter sun.



But the herbs are doing beautifully. Cilantro, flat-leaf parsley, rosemary, thyme, dill, and even the French lavender are all lush.

And this is the first year our tree has been filled with gorgeous Mineola tangelos. Each morning I gently tug on a perfectly ripe tangelo and hear that lovely little snap as it pulls off the branch. That piece of fruit is my afternoon treat. The Oro Blanco grapefruit should be ready in about another week.

Tammy's bulbs and Sweet Peas are cropping up. The blooms will be a treat stuffed in vases throughout the house.

1 comment:

  1. ok I am finally jealous. What a great garden and this time of the year! My mouth is watering for those tangelos.

    I should go take a pic of my square garden - buried under a foot of snow - oh wait that would mean I have to go outside.

    ReplyDelete