Sunday, December 27, 2009

MOM'S EXCELLENT BEEF ENCHILADAS and HOMEMADE REFRIED BEANS



My sisters and I have been loving these delicious enchiladas since we were kids. This is one of my three favorite foods my cute Mom made during my childhood: Enchiladas, Meat Loaf, and Lemon Cake. Just recently I finally recreated my Mom's meat loaf. Sometime I will share the recipe (super easy) but probably won't post a picture since it is not appealing to look at--but it warms the soul.

Our Mom picked up this recipe from AJ Bayless, a local grocery store in Phoenix that no longer exists. I still have a copy of the recipe card, "Nancy Parker Recipes", probably from the 1960's.

I made these for Christmas day dinner along with the refried beans (see recipe below) and Mock Fried Ice Cream (soon to be posted). In the past, I have skipped dipping the tortillas in the oil and instead of rolling the tortillas I have torn them into pieces and layered them. Not near as good as following the recipe.

So, this Christmas day I dipped the tortillas in oil and rolled them tightly--so good. Even my nephew, Connor, had two helpings, which warmed my little heart.

I baked 18 enchildas, 12 in a 9 x 13 baking dish and 6 in the dish pictured above. I stretched the sauce by adding extra tomato juice and water, and a bit more beef.

Mom's Beef Enchiladas
Sauce:
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup flour
1 20 oz can tomato juice
1/2 can water (10 oz.)
3-5 garlic cloves, crushed
Pinch of oregano and cumin
2-3 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt


Filling:
1 lb ground beef
1 chopped onion
12 corn tortillas
Canola oil (for cooking tortillas)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lb shredded cheese (I use sharp cheddar)
1 4 oz can sliced black olives
12 whole black olives
Toothpicks


To make the sauce:
In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the canola oil and flour, whisk together and allow to bubble for one minute. Pour in the tomato juice and water, stir. Add the crushed garlic and remainder of spices. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.


To make the filling:
Brown beef and onion in skillet, add salt. Lightly fry the tortillas in hot oil to to soften (do not crisp). Lay tortillas between paper towels to absorb oil.


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spread one cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Place a portion of meat filling, grated cheese, and sliced olives in the center of a tortilla, roll, and hold together with a toothpick and olive (add the olives to toothpicks to more easily spot the toothpick and prevent choking). Place the rolled, filled tortilla in the baking dish repeating procedure laying enchiladas side by side. Pour sauce over enchiladas, top with grated cheese. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese melts.


Super easy refried beans--and delicious.


HOMEMADE REFRIED BEANS
2 lb. pinto beans (or 3 15 oz. cans)
1/2 cup oil (I used 1/4 cup)
3 Mexican sausages (I used chorizo)
1 Tablespoon flour
Cook beans until soft. In a separate skillet add oil and cook the sausage and flour for 1 to 2 minutes. Add beans to mixture and mash with a potato masher. Add cheese on top.
This recipe came from My Favorite Things by Elizabeth Banks.

3 comments:

  1. OK, so I made these enchiladas tonight and they are, as promised, excellent! They were a huge hit with the menfolk, too. (I did have to leave out the olives for them,however. Sniff.) I substituted nine whole wheat flour tortillas for the corn (since they were what I had on hand) and reduced the cheese a bit. Loved the sauce. Thanks for sharing -- this one's a keeper! (As are ALL your recipes.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy Parker is my grandma! It's neat to see that people are still using her recipes, I'm sure she'd get a kick out of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun, Katie! We love those enchiladas. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete