Thursday, August 13, 2009

ALICIA'S EMPANADAS

My friend Alicia made these gorgeous and yummy empanadas. She also generously gave me a package of dough to make some on my own which I haven't done yet. But I wanted to pass this recipe along to you. I loved them and plan on making them soon.

"La Saltena" empanada dough ( "para horno" meaning they are cooked in the oven, not fried). This is an Argentinian product found at the Mexican Market on Main Street in the frozen food area. They come in packages of 12.

This recipe should be enough for 24 empanadas.

1 lb ground beef
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 cup Spanish olives, chopped
1/2 to 1 cup raisins
2 chopped hard boiled eggs
salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of oregano and Italian seasoning
Pinch of Knorr Swiss chicken flavor bouillon - optional
1 egg

Cook the beef with the onion, garlic, and pepper, until done. Add olives, raisins, boiled eggs, and seasonings.

Add the egg and stir until cooked through. Wet the edges of the empanada disk. Place spoonful of filling in the center and fold. Seal with fork or scallop with fingers. Place on greased cookie sheet. If you want you can also egg wash them so they look pretty and shiny when they come out of the oven. Bake at 375 F for 25 min or until golden brown.

I think these would be great filled with chopped apples, cinnamon, sugar, and walnuts with a sprinkling of turbinado sugar (that I'm sure you purchased to make the yummy berry cobbler) on the tops of the empanada. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. I have a friend from Peru and they make empanadas but with just cheese and then sprinkle powder sugar on the top. Weird combo but they were delicious

    ReplyDelete