Monday, April 13, 2009

LEMON CAKE

Isn't it interesting that when lemon is the star of a recipe it seems best suited for summer or maybe even spring? Lemonade, lemon pie, lemon sorbet all appropriate for the summer. Yet here in Arizona winter is the ripening season for lemons.

Suprisingly, I haven't shared my favorite lemon cake recipe before now. I am never tired of it and love it anytime of the year. The recipe comes from Elizabeth Banks, an Arizonan who years ago produced an excellent cookbook I was lucky enough to receive as a gift.


Lemon Cake

3/4 cup water
3/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs
1 package white cake mix
1 envelope Dream Whip
1 small package lemon Jell-O


Mix the above ingredients and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes in greased 9 x 13 dish. Mix glaze and spread over warm cake. I find the recipe makes more glaze than needed--if you use all the glaze the cake will be soggy so drizzle carefully or cut back on the portions.

Glaze

2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice

3 comments:

  1. This is an absolutely delightful cake! DELICIOUS.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. But...HEYY! And WHO made that cake, I might add??? MY MOM!!! You just want people to think you did! Everyone, My mom made that DEE-LICOUS cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Everyone: I made a mistake....yes, It's true, I ACUALLY mada a mistake...ME!!! This lemon cake wasn't made when I went to Kim's house. OOPS! Sorry Kim.....

    ReplyDelete