Thursday, April 2, 2009

Julia Child's MY LIFE IN FRANCE


I added Julia Child's name to the title of this post because without it you may have thought, "Isn't she taking this Paris trip a bit far?"

When you are traveling don't you like the book you are reading to be appropriate to the journey? So my friend Liz recommended My Life in France. It was just right.

I loved reading about the steps that led Julia Child to become a celebrated French cooking expert. This woman was really into the nuances of food. No preparation or research was too daunting to get the proper results.

The description of her painstaking efforts in creating Mastering the Art of French Cooking is a lesson in being focused and disciplined. And having a passion for your work, which she clearly did.

My only disappointment was her occasional put downs of Americans, her Father, Republicans in general (I know, I'm sensitive but really, why bring it up?)--this dampened my enjoyment a tad.

The book is very detailed thanks to her husband Paul's journal writing, and keeping copies of their correspondence. If you are interested in cooking or love France you will appreciate this book.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you are taking this Paris trip too far. I like your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a great book. I love french food! I had my blog book printed through blurb too.

    ReplyDelete