Friday, January 30, 2009

LEMON PEPPER SALMON & ACORN SQUASH





Have I told you about my family's favorite salmon recipe? We all love salmon. And I have cooked it a lot of different ways. But at the end of the meal when I ask how everyone likes the new salmon recipe the response is, "it was good, but the lemon pepper salmon is the best." So, finally I stopped making new salmon recipes.

This recipe comes from a little restaurant in Lillehammer, Norway. Years ago, my cute Dad and I were traveling through Norway and we stayed two nights in Lillehammer. Both nights we ate at the same tiny restaurant filled with locals. The special of the night was lemon pepper salmon--you really can't go wrong ordering fresh Norwegian salmon so we knew it would be good. But it was amazingly good. We returned the second night and ordered the same meal, this time asking the chef to come to our table. He happily gave me the recipe and I couldn't believe it was so simple.

Also, the salmon was served on cobalt blue glass plates. I loved the combination of the pink salmon and the cobalt blue so when I returned home I bought 12 cobalt blue plates at IKEA, made in France, for $2 each! The salmon is always served on these plates.






Lemon Pepper Salmon
All you do is douse both sides of your salmon fillets with lemon pepper--and I really douse as you can see above. Then you pan fry it on both sides in a little bit of olive oil. That's it. And it is wonderful. It is my niece and nephew's favorite meal to request. If you are lucky enough to have any leftovers the next day it is great served cold on a bed of greens or just eaten straight out of the fridge for breakfast. Yum.

I served this recently with greens from the garden and acorn squash. That was simple, too.

Acorn Squash
acorn squash
butter
brown sugar
maple syrup

Split the acorn squash, scoop out the seeds, put a little bit of butter, a little bit of brown sugar, and a drizzle of maple syrup in each squash. Bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour. I bake these in a small glass cooking dish with a little bit of water in the dish so that the squash stays moist. So, so good.


1 comment:

  1. wow this does sound yummy and I'm not much of a fish eater but I'm going to try it. Do you think it will taste ok if I serve it on my blue tupperware plate? hahahh

    ReplyDelete