Friday, November 28, 2008

PHYLLIS' SOUTHERN PECAN PIE



For years I have tried different pecan pie recipes--I could never get the pie just right. If the filling looked done then the crust was burnt. If the crust looked right then the filling was too runny.

One day, Pam told me about her mom's pecan pie recipe and I instantly asked for it. Pam's mom, Phyllis, is a Southern lady--the real deal. So, I immediately knew this recipe would be THE one for me. This is the only pecan pie recipe I will ever make. It is perfection! And I think the secret is to cook the filling BEFORE you pour it in the pie shell.

By the way, Phyllis just celebrated her 80th birthday! Her party, hosted by her three daughters, included darling hats and hand-made boas--it was great fun.

Phyllis' Pecan Pie

½ c granulated sugar
1 ¼ c dark Karo syrup (spray measuring cup with Pam, tip from Phyllis)
3 eggs
4 T melted butter
1 t vanilla
1 c pecans (heaping)
Dash salt

Cook sugar and syrup until mixture thickens—cook on high, then reduce to medium and cook 5 minutes (sugar will be dissolved, syrup consistency)
Beat eggs well
Add hot syrup slowly (or eggs will curdle), while continuing to beat
Add melted butter, vanilla, salt, and nuts
Pour into pie shell; bake in hot oven at 450° for 10 minutes, turn oven down to 300° for 35 minutes

Makes 1 9” pie

1 comment:

  1. Yum -- making this on Weds! Will be fun to think of you and Pam while I bake. :-)

    ReplyDelete